Me 7 months later: seriously though its time to pull my shit together
Graduated high school. |
Kissed someone .| Collected something really stupid. | Smoked a cigarette. | Got so drunk you passed out. | Rode every ride at an amusement park. | Gone to a rock concert. | Helped someone. | Gone fishing. | Watched four movies in one night. | Gone long periods of time without sleep. | Lied to someone. | Snorted cocaine. | Failed a class. | Smoked weed. | Dealt drugs. | Been in a car accident . | Been in a tornado. | Been to a funeral. | Burned yourself. | Ran a marathon. | Cried yourself to sleep.| Spent over $200 in one day. | Flown on a plane.| Cheated on someone. | Been cheated on. | Written a 10 page letter. | Gone skiing. | Been sailing. | Have a best friend. | Lost someone you loved . | Shoplifted something. | Been to jail. | Dangerously close to being in jail. | S kipped school.| Had detention. | Got in trouble for something you didn’t do. | Stolen books from the library. | Gone to a different country.| Dropped out of school. | Watched the “Harry Potter” movies.| Had an online diary . | Had a yard sale. | Had a lemonade stand.| Actually made money at the lemonade stand. | Been in a school play. | Been fired from a job. | Swam with dolphins. | Taken a lie detector test. | Voted for someone on a reality TV show .| Written poetry. | Read more than 20 books a year. | Gone to Europe. | Loved someone you shouldn’t have. | Used a coloring book over age 12. |Had surgery. | Had stitches. | Taken a taxi. | Seen the Washington Monument. | Had more than 5 IM’s/online conversations going at once. | Overdosed. | Been in a fist fight. | Gone surfing in California. | Had a hamster/guinea pig . | Pet a wild animal.| Used a credit card . | Did “spirit day” at school. | Dyed your hair. | Got a tattoo. | Got straight A’s. | Been on the Honor Roll. | Know someone with HIV or AIDS. | Made out with someone .| Played on a sports team .| Snuck out of the house. | Swore at a teacher. | Gone laser tagging.| Had a romantic relationship.| Been on the TV. | French braided. |Skinny-dipped. | Driven a car.| Performed in front of an audience.| Gone bungee-jumping. | Been to Mexico. | Crashed a car. | Sky dived. | Been kissed in the rain. | Made an 11:11 wish. | Drank alcohol.| F orwarded a chain letter.| Made a mistake.
- The protests are being held in order to achieve universal suffrage in Hong Kong. Although democracy had been promised for 2017 in 2008, China announced this August that Hong Kong people would only be able to vote from a pool of 2-3 specially selected candidates (all of whom would definitely have pro-China sentiments)
- University students held a week-long boycott of classes to protest for true democracy in Hong Kong
- Today riot police were deployed against peaceful protesters. Equipped in full riot gear the police used pepper spray to deter the protesters, mainly students and youths but also some elderly people have reported being sprayed point blank
- It is estimated that over 50,000 people have joined the protest and this number continues to grow
- This is the largest political protest in Hong Kong since our independence from the UK in 1997
- Although the protests remain peaceful, police have now started to use tear gas and have brought out long guns loaded with rubber bullets (there hasn’t yet been a report of any bullets being shot)
- Over 80 arrests have been made including students as young as 16 for taking part in these protests
- They are cutting cell phone receptions in the protest area so that people can’t share any information
- Violence is increasing as police continue to instigate protesters
- All this comes right before the October 1st celebration of the 65th anniversary of founding of the People’s Republic of China
- There are rumours that the PLA (the Chinese army) are going to be brought into the city tonight
More facts about Hong Kong:
- We run under a one country, two systems policy with China meaning that we are part of China but have our own government and laws.
- Protests for universal suffrage have been held throughout the summer but these are the biggest yet
- Anti-China and anti-government sentiments are at their highest levels yet. Survey results showed that 1 in 5 people are thinking of emigrating from the city.
- In June, China issued a white paper essentially telling Hong Kong to remember their place and re-asserting their authority over the city
The scenes from the protest look awful. In my 17 years in Hong Kong I’ve never seen anything like it. The world needs to know about this and say something before we get a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square massacre.
I hope everyone stays safe. Hong Kong stay strong.
Demand more research into mental illnesses
Demand more education on mental illness
Demand more positive representation of mental illness
Destroy the stigma that surrounds mental illness
Don’t let more kids struggle all their life not knowing what is wrong with them
Don’t let mental illnesses go unrecognized and untreated
Destroy this environment that favors neurotypical able people
So if we have to show women what the baby looks like in their womb and tell them how the process works before allowing them to get an abortion, does that mean we should teach our soldiers about the culture of the lands we’re invading, and explain to them that the people we want them to kill have families and feel pain, just like Americans?
I want support for ugly girls and lazy girls and girls that can’t ever get their eyeliner right. I want feminism that includes girls who are too big or too black to be on body positive blogs.
I want girls with acne scars and girls who don’t “pass” and girls with facial hair. I want girls who are, in fact, man hating lesbians. I want poor girls.
I need the girls who never took a course in gender studies but who still know the way that society treats them is bullshit.
It doesn’t feel like a revolution when we’re only showing more of the same, when we only raise up the voices of some women.
I need to do better. We all need to do better.